Des Mots-Niaques
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

Des Mots-Niaques

Vous avez envie de parler de tout et de rien sans vous prendre la tête ?

AccueilDernières imagesS'enregistrerConnexion
Le Deal du moment : -45%
PC Portable LG Gram 17″ Intel Evo Core i7 32 Go ...
Voir le deal
1099.99 €

A jolly good idea...the english topic is back! Yay!

+9
Nalexou
Night
Wrathchild
Canard Boulet
ICEBLOCK
Alitje
Bicrate de Soude
Maggot
Shangora
13 participants
Aller à la page : Précédent  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
AuteurMessage
Shangora
Elle est où la poulette?
Elle est où la poulette?

A jolly good idea...the english topic is back! Yay! - Page 12 Empty
MessageSujet: Re: A jolly good idea...the english topic is back! Yay!   A jolly good idea...the english topic is back! Yay! - Page 12 Icon_minitimeVen 9 Mai 2014 - 23:58

It reminds me of a time when I used to give English lessons to a high school student, who was desperately bad at memorizing practically anything and was VERY slow when achieving a task (plus she was a dyslexic - her grandma even called her "retard" Rolling Eyes). Needless to say her marks were not very good...but she was a metalhead. And guess what? it helped a LOT. When we reviewed irregular verbs, I helped her set up a list of songs she knew and which titles included one of these verbs. And when she recited her verbs but had a doubt, I was like "come on, remember the SOAD song that goes like that?" "oh OK, it is so [enter verb]" "there you go, girl ^^!"

Well, I enjoyed a lot this video, it sure reminds lots of things to all of us! Very Happy
Revenir en haut Aller en bas
Bicrate de Soude
le Socrate multi-fonction
Bicrate de Soude

Masculin
Emploi : Parfois oui, parfois non
Loisirs : Musique, guitare, passer du temps avec les amis, forums...

MessageSujet: Re: A jolly good idea...the english topic is back! Yay!   A jolly good idea...the english topic is back! Yay! - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSam 10 Mai 2014 - 1:20

Shangora a écrit:
It reminds me of a time when I used to give English lessons to a high school student, who was desperately bad at memorizing practically anything and was VERY slow when achieving a task (plus she was a dyslexic - her grandma even called her "retard" Rolling Eyes).

Hum hum hum... what a surprise MrGreen, the student I had in mind IS also dyslexic. But he's not particularly fan of music... Well, I know he listens to metal because we talked about it but he also listens to emo, to dubstep and basically anything that his friends listen to. But we DID already work on the song "Help" by... You know who.
http://heliconpart1.over-blog.org/
Shangora
Elle est où la poulette?
Elle est où la poulette?
Shangora

Féminin

MessageSujet: Re: A jolly good idea...the english topic is back! Yay!   A jolly good idea...the english topic is back! Yay! - Page 12 Icon_minitimeLun 27 Oct 2014 - 15:29

I though this topic needed a little animation Razz

The thing is, I really don't have anything special to say right now...

I've just skimmed the last pages of this topic, and I noticed how bad I am sometimes at English. It may sound a bit strange especially when you think of how much effort I've given during the last few years in order to be the most fluent possible. But I can't help but think that some sentences and words were poorly built/chosen and overall awkward.

I'm trying my best, though. Especially now, in my life. Little did you know that I take many English calls on a daily basis, especially in the afternoon shifts (guys from Edmonton/Winnipeg/Saskatoon, etc...). And I'm struggling like HELL. Most of the time it's OK, but every now and then I feel so insecure (hihihi couldn't help XD) because I have a hard time figure out what they want, they just speak to fast/with an unrecognizable accent. Some are not even English-speaking persons, and it just makes things worse. Sometimes, I even have to ask again because I'm not even sure I understood their request. And a few of them just don't have patience. Lucky that others are sympathetic. But in the end, I always end up feeling so nervous that I'm reluctant to talk back, making me sound like a retard who never had English lessons in her life.

Now don't get me wrong, I improved a lot since I'm at my new job, and when I have a casual chat, out of professional context, I'm totally comfortable. But I envy the Quebecers sooo much, they're all perfectly bilingual, and it just reminds me of how much my inexperience shows.

OK, this was a pointless rant, related to my "English-speaking" life...life sooo hard sometimes XD
Bicrate de Soude
Bicrate de Soude

Masculin

MessageSujet: Re: A jolly good idea...the english topic is back! Yay!   A jolly good idea...the english topic is back! Yay! - Page 12 Icon_minitimeDim 20 Déc 2015 - 1:41

I thought of putting this in the "La vidéo que vous regardez en ce moment" topic but then realised that you need a bit of training and a good knowledge of english to get the fun out of this video...
It's mostly a computer geek kind of thing (which I'm not) but it made me laugh a lot. Although it starts getting really boring after the first 8 minutes...

Worth watching though (as a curiosity).

Shangora a écrit:

I've just skimmed the last pages of this topic, and I noticed how bad I am sometimes at English. It may sound a bit strange especially when you think of how much effort I've given during the last few years in order to be the most fluent possible. But I can't help but think that some sentences and words were poorly built/chosen and overall awkward.

I'm trying my best, though. Especially now, in my life. Little did you know that I take many English calls on a daily basis, especially in the afternoon shifts (guys from Edmonton/Winnipeg/Saskatoon, etc...). And I'm struggling like HELL. Most of the time it's OK, but every now and then I feel so insecure (hihihi couldn't help XD) because I have a hard time figure out what they want, they just speak to fast/with an unrecognizable accent. Some are not even English-speaking persons, and it just makes things worse. Sometimes, I even have to ask again because I'm not even sure I understood their request. And a few of them just don't have patience. Lucky that others are sympathetic. But in the end, I always end up feeling so nervous that I'm reluctant to talk back, making me sound like a retard who never had English lessons in her life.

Now don't get me wrong, I improved a lot since I'm at my new job, and when I have a casual chat, out of professional context, I'm totally comfortable. But I envy the Quebecers sooo much, they're all perfectly bilingual, and it just reminds me of how much my inexperience shows.

OK, this was a pointless rant, related to my "English-speaking" life...life sooo hard sometimes XD

How much time had you already spent there when you wrote this message ? Seems to me you were doing pretty well. I do see some mistakes here that only have to do with the lack of knowledge of the "coloquial speech", like the french idea of "on ne le formule pas comme ça...". But that's completely normal.
It seems to me your problem here had more to do with the fact of being at work and stressed by the situation than your actual knowledge of english. I also make a lot of mistakes when I'm surrounded by native english speakers. Although I'm sure that If I was in a relaxed state of mind, I wouldn't have made 80% percent of the mistakes I made. There are many things I understand only one or two sentences later Laughing ... But that's normal. It's just part of the whole process of getting accustomed to the variety of speeches in a new environment.
Shangora
Elle est où la poulette?
Elle est où la poulette?
Shangora

Féminin

MessageSujet: Re: A jolly good idea...the english topic is back! Yay!   A jolly good idea...the english topic is back! Yay! - Page 12 Icon_minitimeLun 21 Déc 2015 - 11:41

Sorry Bitteulze, unauthorized access to Youtube at work, I'll have to wait until I'm back home!

Bitteulze a écrit:

How much time had you already spent there when you wrote this message ? Seems to me you were doing pretty well. I do see some mistakes here that only have to do with the lack of knowledge of the "coloquial speech", like the french idea of "on ne le formule pas comme ça...". But that's completely normal.

First, wow, thank you for replying, even if it is more than one year later! Very Happy thanks for your kind words, too! Smile

I don't remember exactly how much time I spent when I wrote this. I'm pretty sure I typed it in one go, though. I usually spend time re-reading and correct any mistake I see, although I leave a few of them uncorrected. Anyways, I'll always make these mistakes you're referring to, except if I were 100% bilingual (which is never the case unless you get to grow up in a bilingual place OR if you spend many, many years abroad OR if you're super-naturally talented at learning languages). But as you said, I think it's natural, no matter how good you are at it.

Bitteulze a écrit:

It seems to me your problem here had more to do with the fact of being at work and stressed by the situation than your actual knowledge of english. I also make a lot of mistakes when I'm surrounded by native english speakers. Although I'm sure that If I was in a relaxed state of mind, I wouldn't have made 80% percent of the mistakes I made. There are many things I understand only one or two sentences later Laughing ... But that's normal. It's just part of the whole process of getting accustomed to the variety of speeches in a new environment.

So very true.

Now that everything is over and I can think back about all this, this job was a very stressful one, to begin with. I've never really suffered from stress at work, and this one made me. It was all about making money, meeting and exceeding objectives and taking as much incoming calls as possible, 8 hours per day, 6 days per week. I eventually quitted after a few months, I was very obviously NOT cut out for that job (I never regretted it).

Background being set, now you can understand how uncomfortable it was to take english calls, at the beginning. And the callers (mostly travel agents, AND especially bastards  agents from Toronto) were not helping at all. Granted, some were OK with the fact I was a new hire, plus a non english speaking one. But the others were impatient, impolite, when they weren't just plain rude (on some occasions, I got laughed at, other times people wouldn't even bother to greet me, just asked "Am I in Toronto or Montreal?" "Montreal" "OK, bye", a few times I even got hung up at my face just after my welcoming message Rolling Eyes assholes, all of them). It annoyed me to the point i feared to take english calls. And the days I wasn't in high spirits, well...it would all end up in a very confusing nonsense!

I think that if I had been in a more relaxing environment, I would have made myself clearer, I'm sure about it. I had a few week summer job earlier this year, which implied to answer some english incoming calls and greeting foreigners visitors at the front desk. Guess what? I had ZERO problem with it! Just like my internship in Corte, two years ago.

And back in May, when I was in NYC, I had a few spontaneous conversations with people (in shops, at Starbucks, etc...sorry for being a bit off-topic here, but I was very surprised at how much comfortable New-Yorkers were with casual talk with total strangers...in a pleasant way!), and then again, no stress, flowing speech, understandable sentences...

Well, from a more general point of view, I'm rather in accordance with your point, it is all a matter of time, of getting accostumated to a new place, new people, and it greatly depends on how cool or nervous you feel about it.

( Yet I have a hard time imagining you having problems speaking to native english speakers first time you meet, at least as much as other people would scratch then again, one of my sister's friend has an English dad, and she doesn't consider herself bilingual. Well, this girl doesn't really put any effort into speaking a perfect English, that is. I may just be a bit prejudiced here.)
Bicrate de Soude
Bicrate de Soude

Masculin

MessageSujet: Re: A jolly good idea...the english topic is back! Yay!   A jolly good idea...the english topic is back! Yay! - Page 12 Icon_minitimeLun 11 Jan 2016 - 1:35

Shangora a écrit:

And back in May, when I was in NYC, I had a few spontaneous conversations with people (in shops, at Starbucks, etc...sorry for being a bit off-topic here, but I was very surprised at how much comfortable New-Yorkers were with casual talk with total strangers...in a pleasant way!), and then again, no stress, flowing speech, understandable sentences...

Glad to know that. Smile

Shangora a écrit:

( Yet I have a hard time imagining you having problems speaking to native english speakers first time you meet, at least as much as other people would scratch then again, one of my sister's friend has an English dad, and she doesn't consider herself bilingual. Well, this girl doesn't really put any effort into speaking a perfect English, that is. I may just be a bit prejudiced here.)

I don't know about your friend but believe me, even with my degree in English (Licence de Langues Littératures et Civilisations Etrangères) and my family ties with american culture, I'm still struggling to have casual conversations with distant relatives from the US... But I believe it has mostly to do with subject matters and the "thought process". By that, I mean the fact of "not thinking and expressing my thoughts like an american would do"... That's when you truly measure the cultural gap and see that language is not just about words, grammar and pronounciation but an essential reflection of a country's culture... It takes time to go from one culture to another.
But I guess it also has a lot to do with affinity and subject matter... Sometimes, when you're really passionate about something and share this passion with someone who does not speak the same language as you, the language barriers seems to instantly vanish...
Shangora
Elle est où la poulette?
Elle est où la poulette?
Shangora

Féminin

MessageSujet: Re: A jolly good idea...the english topic is back! Yay!   A jolly good idea...the english topic is back! Yay! - Page 12 Icon_minitimeMar 12 Jan 2016 - 11:33

Bitteulze a écrit:
That's when you truly measure the cultural gap and see that language is not just about words, grammar and pronounciation but an essential reflection of a country's culture... It takes time to go from one culture to another.

Very interesting.

No matter what some people think, the whole process of though is not the same, from one countty to another, it is nothing new to you, as you pointed it, it is called culture.
And we're back to what the essence of the "problem" is: it is just a matter of adaptation. But I'm adamant that not everyone is equally gifted in front of the adaptation to another culture.

Bitteulze a écrit:
Sometimes, when you're really passionate about something and share this passion with someone who does not speak the same language as you, the language barriers seems to instantly vanish...

I agree, again. I'm pretty sure you don't have so much trouble when you talk about music Smile
Bicrate de Soude
Bicrate de Soude

Masculin

MessageSujet: Re: A jolly good idea...the english topic is back! Yay!   A jolly good idea...the english topic is back! Yay! - Page 12 Icon_minitimeVen 29 Jan 2016 - 0:54

Shangora a écrit:

I'm pretty sure you don't have so much trouble when you talk about music Smile

Indeed ! Smile
Contenu sponsorisé

MessageSujet: Re: A jolly good idea...the english topic is back! Yay!   A jolly good idea...the english topic is back! Yay! - Page 12 Icon_minitime

A jolly good idea...the english topic is back! Yay!
Page 12 sur 12Aller à la page : Précédent  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12