Des Mots-Niaques
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

Des Mots-Niaques

Vous avez envie de parler de tout et de rien sans vous prendre la tête ?

AccueilDernières imagesS'enregistrerConnexion
Le deal à ne pas rater :
Bon plan achat en duo : 2ème robot cuiseur Moulinex Companion ...
600 €
Voir le deal

A jolly good idea...the english topic is back! Yay!

+9
Nalexou
Night
Wrathchild
Canard Boulet
ICEBLOCK
Alitje
Bicrate de Soude
Maggot
Shangora
13 participants
Aller à la page : Précédent  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Suivant
AuteurMessage
Shangora
Elle est où la poulette?
Elle est où la poulette?

A jolly good idea...the english topic is back! Yay! - Page 11 Empty
MessageSujet: Re: A jolly good idea...the english topic is back! Yay!   A jolly good idea...the english topic is back! Yay! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMar 6 Aoû 2013 - 0:35

Thank you for sharing!^^

That was quite precious. I couldn't believe it when they unveiled the harpsichord you can hear on "Because", ans the old keyboard on "Stawberryfield"...I think I'd faint on the spot if I ever got to go near these holy relics!
 Klaus Voorman was the designer of the "Revolver" Cover (highly-inspired MrGreen), among other things. He looks like a nice guy!
Revenir en haut Aller en bas
Bicrate de Soude
le Socrate multi-fonction
Bicrate de Soude

Masculin
Emploi : Parfois oui, parfois non
Loisirs : Musique, guitare, passer du temps avec les amis, forums...

MessageSujet: Re: A jolly good idea...the english topic is back! Yay!   A jolly good idea...the english topic is back! Yay! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMar 6 Aoû 2013 - 21:22

Shangora a écrit:
Thank you for sharing!^^

That was quite precious. I couldn't believe it when they unveiled the harpsichord you can hear on "Because", ans the old keyboard on "Stawberryfield"...I think I'd faint on the spot if I ever got to go near these holy relics!

The magical (mystery) moment for me was when he started to play the intro to Strawberry Fields Forever... WaouaW 
But it's kind of awkward in a way because he plays it just like that, without paying much more attention to it... It's quite unsettling !...to say the least.

Shangora a écrit:

Klaus Voorman was the designer of the "Revolver" Cover (highly-inspired MrGreen), among other things.

Exactly. Wink 
Have you seen the movie "Backbeat" ?
http://heliconpart1.over-blog.org/
Bicrate de Soude
Bicrate de Soude

Masculin

MessageSujet: Re: A jolly good idea...the english topic is back! Yay!   A jolly good idea...the english topic is back! Yay! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeJeu 8 Aoû 2013 - 0:59

Very Happy 

Bicrate de Soude
Bicrate de Soude

Masculin

MessageSujet: Re: A jolly good idea...the english topic is back! Yay!   A jolly good idea...the english topic is back! Yay! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeJeu 15 Aoû 2013 - 20:14

Message for Shango...

I don't remember on wich topic we talked about this but, anyway I was planning to give part of the answer on this topic (otherwise I would've had to make a translation...Well I may eventually make one later but it will take me some more time) so it's ok... We were talking about the space between us all and the people who hide themselves behind a wall about the "butcher cover" (the picture I used as an avatar)... I wanted to reply to you earlier about this but I couldn't find the interview I was looking for. Now I understand why...It was a spoken interview, not a written one.
So I'll transcribe it here. :

On June 20th, the Yesterday...And today album was released in the U.S. And then swiftly withdrawn after a public outcry over the infamous "butcher" photo on the cover. John explains :
- We took the pictures in London at one of those photo sessions. By then we were really sort of...[You know] begining to hate it. Photo sessions was a big ordeal and [you know]... You had to tie and look normal and [you know] you didn't feel it. And the photographer's a bit of a surrealist [you know ?]. And he brought along all these babies and pieces of meat and doctor's coat so we really got into it and that's how we felt like 'Yerrrr'. So we sort of, I especially, pushed for it to be an album cover [you know] just to break the image [you know ?]. And...It got out in America and they printed it...About sixty thousand got out and then there was somekind of fuss. As usual. And they were all sent back in or withdrawn, they stuck that awful-looking picture which you have in front of you of us, sitting, looking just as dead beat, but suppose to be happy-go-looking foresome.

You'll notice that I transcribed John's expressions very precisely. MrGreen 

"Break the image"...That's the main idea behind this picture. And I can totally relate to that. That's the reason I chose it as an avatar in the first place.

Edit : And this is the picture John was talking about when he said "that awful-looking picture which you have in front of you of us, sitting, looking just as dead beat, but suppose to be happy-go-looking foresome."
A jolly good idea...the english topic is back! Yay! - Page 11 Beatles_yesterday_today_grande
Bicrate de Soude
Bicrate de Soude

Masculin

MessageSujet: Re: A jolly good idea...the english topic is back! Yay!   A jolly good idea...the english topic is back! Yay! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeDim 1 Sep 2013 - 11:54

I just came upon the most HORRIBLE sentence I have ever read in my life...

I recently saw a documentary about the atomic bomb and Einstein's implication in it. Then I did a bit of research to try and figure out what the scientists had did to call upon the american president to GIVE A WARNING before dropping the bomb on Hiroshima...

And this is a sentence I read, about the dropping of Nagasaki's bomb :

In a split second, Nagasaki's population dropped from 422,000 to 383,000.

It's the most frightening thing I have ever read. Just one little sentence...

You don't need to go very far to understand the amount of fear people went through during the cold-war era.

Of course I had already heard and read about these atomic bombs, and heard about their horror but it's the first time I read a sentence which condenses the whole horror of it all into just one sentence.
To me it just proves that too much information on a subject can drown your attention... It drowns your imagination and capacity to fully realise things.
Concision and facts are really the essential thing when dealing with events... That's why I don't like to watch the news on TV because most of the time, those two elements are mixed with sensationalism and it makes the news look more like a simple entertainement programm than a clear account of what's happening in the world.
Bicrate de Soude
Bicrate de Soude

Masculin

MessageSujet: Re: A jolly good idea...the english topic is back! Yay!   A jolly good idea...the english topic is back! Yay! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeVen 1 Nov 2013 - 4:11

NOT bedtime story I would read to my kids, but as an adult, I find this pretty entertaining.

darkdays
Admin par Intérim
Admin par Intérim
darkdays

Masculin
Emploi : Cryptkeeper
Loisirs : créer des topics sur un forum désert

MessageSujet: Re: A jolly good idea...the english topic is back! Yay!   A jolly good idea...the english topic is back! Yay! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeVen 1 Nov 2013 - 12:33

O little boy, come here listen to the story of "the Cuttlefish of Cthulhu" :

There was not a little but a big beast by the name of Gwar. it was wearing a weird codpiece...

A jolly good idea...the english topic is back! Yay! - Page 11 Oderus1
http://www.myspace.com/fantominus
Shangora
Elle est où la poulette?
Elle est où la poulette?
Shangora

Féminin

MessageSujet: Re: A jolly good idea...the english topic is back! Yay!   A jolly good idea...the english topic is back! Yay! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeVen 1 Nov 2013 - 14:03

Thank you so much Bitteulze for introducing me to the sparkling, wonderful, fairytale world of GWAR.

Didn't mean to have lunch, today, anyway! Suspect
darkdays
Admin par Intérim
Admin par Intérim
darkdays

Masculin

MessageSujet: Re: A jolly good idea...the english topic is back! Yay!   A jolly good idea...the english topic is back! Yay! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeVen 1 Nov 2013 - 18:09

http://www.courrierinternational.com/article/2013/10/30/lancer-une-greve-de-l-anglais-un-drole-de-boycott?utm_campaign=&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Courrier+international+hebdomadaire

Clown
Shangora
Elle est où la poulette?
Elle est où la poulette?
Shangora

Féminin

MessageSujet: Re: A jolly good idea...the english topic is back! Yay!   A jolly good idea...the english topic is back! Yay! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSam 2 Nov 2013 - 14:12

This guy's not totally wrong...I'm quite disturbed by the over obuse of English language in advertising in France (and I do feel hypocritical for writing it in english), I may sound old-school but I'm really concerned about the preservation of the "cultural exception"  distinctive feature of french language. But let'not be that bad faithed either, who can claim they can perfectly avoid the use of english word in a daily conversation? Razz
Bicrate de Soude
Bicrate de Soude

Masculin

MessageSujet: Re: A jolly good idea...the english topic is back! Yay!   A jolly good idea...the english topic is back! Yay! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeLun 4 Nov 2013 - 14:05

Shangora a écrit:

Didn't mean to have lunch, today, anyway! Suspect
Laughing 
Bicrate de Soude
Bicrate de Soude

Masculin

MessageSujet: Re: A jolly good idea...the english topic is back! Yay!   A jolly good idea...the english topic is back! Yay! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeLun 4 Nov 2013 - 14:30

Shangora a écrit:
This guy's not totally wrong...I'm quite disturbed by the over obuse of English language in advertising in France (and I do feel hypocritical for writing it in english), I may sound old-school but I'm really concerned about the preservation of the "cultural exception"  distinctive feature of french language. But let'not be that bad faithed either, who can claim they can perfectly avoid the use of english word in a daily conversation? Razz
I totally agree !

Actually, it's funny that you brought up this subject darkdays because I recently found an article that deals with this. I really don't like it when I see all these trendy/sophisticated teenagers who start spreading english words in their language just as a means to look "cool". To me it just makes them look stupidly conformist and incapable of creativity and/or increasing their knowledge of french. When I hear them talk like that it makes me want to tell them :
"Allô ? Nan mais allô quoi... T'as grandi en France et tu parles pas l'français ? Allô ?"MrGreen 
But I was probably as conformist as them when I was their age. i guess I'm just an old moaner.

And by the way, I don't see it hypocritical for writing in english that we want more "purity" of language in our everyday french. This is an english-speaking topic for practising use. It's not the same as sprinkling bits of a english language in your french when you should be speaking just french.
Actually, it's not so much the "mixture" that annoys me as much as the REASON why it's used... Because, appart for working in areas where most technical words ARE english (Computers, Marketing, Trade etc.), the only reason for most people to add english words to their language is just to show-off. And that really bugs me !
But the author of this article is right as well in mentionning the exemple of french expressions such as "double entendre" in the english language. I would understand the use of the words "cuisine" (pronounced queezeen) or "buffet" (bofay) and all gastronomy-related words in english speaking countries but they could easily use "double meaning" in place of this "double entendre" which isn't even correct in french. And the same goes with us and our use of words such as "basket" or "footing".
I think that when it's really not necessary (contexts such as marketing, gastronomy, etc.) we should all stick to our own language and try to look smart by using the vocabulary of our own languages rather than by using foreign words.

I couldn't find the exact article that I shared recently but I found something even better (wich was on the same website than the one where I found the article) :
http://www.topito.com/top-anglicismes-francais-has-been#top
Bicrate de Soude
Bicrate de Soude

Masculin

MessageSujet: Re: A jolly good idea...the english topic is back! Yay!   A jolly good idea...the english topic is back! Yay! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSam 7 Déc 2013 - 0:44

I really feel sorry for people who have a hard time understanding english... Because they are missing some trully unique and talented people out there.

First of all, a bit of explanation :
"Reggie Watts is an entertainer who combines stream-of-consciousness improvisational comedy with music to create a wholly original experience. A PopTech veteran, Watts knows this audience well and he handled them like a pro, getting big laughs with a smart blend of sarcasm and self-deprecation during his performance." [poptech]

If you REALLY don't have the time to watch the whole 15 minutes of this video, I advise you to skip the first 13 minutes and to go straight to the last 2 minutes. But I also advise to come back to it later because the whole performance is really worth watching ENTIRELY. I think this guy is a genius...

And he's even got his own dedicated smiley : afro 
Haha.
Shangora
Elle est où la poulette?
Elle est où la poulette?
Shangora

Féminin

MessageSujet: Re: A jolly good idea...the english topic is back! Yay!   A jolly good idea...the english topic is back! Yay! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSam 7 Déc 2013 - 1:59

Quite amazing indeed!

I had to check first what PopTech was about, I didn't fully grasp the genral idea but it doesn't really matter, anyway, it would be nice if someone could explain me...

This guy's quite funny, which is good news to hear, cause I'm generally not a big fan of that avant-garde, smart humor that the so-called "swag" people feature Rolling Eyes I was quite impressed by his vocal performance, and his mastery of all this electronical stuff!

Which reminds me I've been starting to take a liking on electronic music lately...well, better late than never!
Bicrate de Soude
Bicrate de Soude

Masculin

MessageSujet: Re: A jolly good idea...the english topic is back! Yay!   A jolly good idea...the english topic is back! Yay! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeLun 9 Déc 2013 - 3:07

Shangora a écrit:
Quite amazing indeed!

I had to check first what PopTech was about, I didn't fully grasp the genral idea but it doesn't really matter, anyway, it would be nice if someone could explain me...

This guy's quite funny, which is good news to hear, cause I'm generally not a big fan of that avant-garde, smart humor that the so-called "swag" people feature :roll:I was quite impressed by his vocal performance, and his mastery of all this electronical stuff!

Which reminds me I've been starting to take a liking on electronic music lately...well, better late than never!
To be quite honest, I didn't really understand what was PopTech about either... But it seems to be some kind of humor festival for scientifics or techniciens... I don't know really, it seems like a strange concept. scratch 

Glad you discovered electronic music. But "electronic music" is an expression which covers a very WIDE variety of distinct styles of music... Depending on the era, the "scene" etc.
Are their some artists in particular that you enjoyed listening to ?
Shangora
Elle est où la poulette?
Elle est où la poulette?
Shangora

Féminin

MessageSujet: Re: A jolly good idea...the english topic is back! Yay!   A jolly good idea...the english topic is back! Yay! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeLun 9 Déc 2013 - 8:07

You'd never believe it, but I'm starting to find dubstep quite interesting...on the other hand I'm listening quite a good amount of DaftPunk and Massive Attack too.

You're right, I was quite imprecise, but to be honnest, most of the things I listened to were a wide array of anonymous tracks (read: I don't remeber the title) I've stumbled upon on Youtube Laughing

Anyway, any tip from you is welcome Wink
Bicrate de Soude
Bicrate de Soude

Masculin

MessageSujet: Re: A jolly good idea...the english topic is back! Yay!   A jolly good idea...the english topic is back! Yay! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeLun 9 Déc 2013 - 17:08

Shangora a écrit:
You'd never believe it, but I'm starting to find dubstep quite interesting...on the other hand I'm listening quite a good amount of DaftPunk and Massive Attack too.

I don't know much about DaftPunk (I'm not a big fan of dance music...But I like their first clip...With the man with a dog face waking in New York with his boombox). I don't know really how to label DaftPunk...I'm calling it "dance music" but others might call them "electro", in the 90's it might even have been qualified as "Big Beat" (in association with the music of The Chemical Brothers, Prodigy, Fat Boy Slim etc. ). But If you like Daftpunk, I think you'd like Adam Freeland (also known simply as Freeland).

(Ain't that a cool song  Cool )

As for dubstep, I knew absolutely nothing !...Until I read your message and it made me want to discover what it was all about.
I heard a bit of EI-B (which I liked...But wondered if it was really " pure " dubstep because to me it sounded more like drum'n'bass). I also listen to Skream (I hope I got the spelling write) which I didn't like that much. And a dubstep remix of songs by La Roux... But wasn't thrilled.
Bicrate de Soude
Bicrate de Soude

Masculin

MessageSujet: Re: A jolly good idea...the english topic is back! Yay!   A jolly good idea...the english topic is back! Yay! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeLun 9 Déc 2013 - 17:28

What the hell is this : allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" ??!! confused
I can't even remove it.
Bicrate de Soude
Bicrate de Soude

Masculin

MessageSujet: Re: A jolly good idea...the english topic is back! Yay!   A jolly good idea...the english topic is back! Yay! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeVen 21 Fév 2014 - 13:51

I would have liked to put this video in Rubrique écolo, unfortunately it's all in english, so I'll just put it here and hope that most of you will see it. Rolling Eyes 

Shangora
Elle est où la poulette?
Elle est où la poulette?
Shangora

Féminin

MessageSujet: Re: A jolly good idea...the english topic is back! Yay!   A jolly good idea...the english topic is back! Yay! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeVen 21 Fév 2014 - 20:05

That is so fascinating! The report is very clear and concise, plus this british accent helps a lot!
I already knew the process in the main lines, but I didn't know some details such as cleaning the plastic shreds with soda (and that is why it's a bit shocking, almost all of the staff in the factory seems to miss appropriate equipment, no gloves? no hygiene caps? no googles? come on, China...what is the point of being eco-friendly if you keep on stomping on human rights and safety? OK I'm just drifting from the subjct...)

Bitteulze, I have a little something for you: tell me if you agree or not! (the other ones' opinion is welcome too, of course!) Very Happy

You definively should check this channel out: it's a "top 10" channel, encompassing a very large span of subjects, it's pretty cool!

About this video: I COULD NOT AGREE MORE WITH NO.1!!!! THEY CAN NEVER BE TOPPED!! NEVER!!! HOLY FUCKING MOTHER OF JFDSUJCJKLSNXPZJKRGBCJKS!!!! LaughingLaughingLaughing

But if I may, I think this list is quite unfait with AC/DC...
Bicrate de Soude
Bicrate de Soude

Masculin

MessageSujet: Re: A jolly good idea...the english topic is back! Yay!   A jolly good idea...the english topic is back! Yay! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeDim 23 Fév 2014 - 5:26

Shangora a écrit:
.what is the point of being eco-friendly if you keep on stomping on human rights and safety?

I was actually thinking the same thing while watching it. I'm not so sure about the "human rights" aspect you're refering to, but I definitely was thinking about the problems with safety and environnement shown here... I ended up thinking : "well at least it creates job", but it's true this process would need more investigation to find out if it really doesn't end up causing as much harm as bot recycling the plastic bottles Rolling Eyes .

As for the list...
Well, of course I agree with the number 1. But this kind of list is always debatable... Because their's nothing more subjective than to define if Led Zeppelin were more influencial than Queen or even Pink Floyd...
I would have put Queen at number 2, even though I prefer Led Zeppelin's albums... Because I think than what defines a great and influential rock band is mostly it's ability to be creative and versatile, exploring different styles of music... And in this aspect, Queen were better than Led Zeppelin (and their career lasted longer, which does help them I might say... Rolling Eyes ).
But all this "Top 10" business or "top 50" or whatever, is really unrelevant. Although it would be hypocritical for me to say that I never pay attention to those list, that's not true... But let's say that I'm getting a bit tired of them... It's really the whole concept of putting competition in any artistic field that tends to bore me more and more. If the criterias are clearly defined in an objective way (the number of sales, the number of years on the Bilboard, the number of fans etc.), I understand the point in competition, I don't support it, but I understand it. But if it's this kind of list, set on somekind of vague "popularity" notion and a mixture of objective elements such as the number of singles etc... I still find it to subjective to be really worth taking notice of.
I think the only good purpose of these kind of lists is to make younger generations curious enough to discover these old bands that they might have heard about but never really listened to.
Bicrate de Soude
Bicrate de Soude

Masculin

MessageSujet: Re: A jolly good idea...the english topic is back! Yay!   A jolly good idea...the english topic is back! Yay! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMar 25 Fév 2014 - 11:32

Surprised I can't believe it !
They actually DO smoke pot on TV.
Now that's a concept that will probably never be imported on french TV.

Edit : And I'm really surprised I was able to find this so easily on Youtube. Children can actually SEE this on Youtube !  affraid 
darkdays
Admin par Intérim
Admin par Intérim
darkdays

Masculin

MessageSujet: Re: A jolly good idea...the english topic is back! Yay!   A jolly good idea...the english topic is back! Yay! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMer 7 Mai 2014 - 21:20

Bicrate de Soude
Bicrate de Soude

Masculin

MessageSujet: Re: A jolly good idea...the english topic is back! Yay!   A jolly good idea...the english topic is back! Yay! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeVen 9 Mai 2014 - 12:11

"Do you understand the power of the preterit ?!"  Laughing 

It's a pity he didn't include "know/knew/known", "go/went/gone" and "get/got/got"... It could have been the perfect song for my students.
darkdays
Admin par Intérim
Admin par Intérim
darkdays

Masculin

MessageSujet: Re: A jolly good idea...the english topic is back! Yay!   A jolly good idea...the english topic is back! Yay! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeVen 9 Mai 2014 - 20:24

you can sing and play on guitar this whole song
add an other verse for your students !  Idea 
they’ll be awestruck... their favorite lesson of you
Shangora
Elle est où la poulette?
Elle est où la poulette?
Shangora

Féminin

MessageSujet: Re: A jolly good idea...the english topic is back! Yay!   A jolly good idea...the english topic is back! Yay! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeVen 9 Mai 2014 - 23:58

It reminds me of a time when I used to give English lessons to a high school student, who was desperately bad at memorizing practically anything and was VERY slow when achieving a task (plus she was a dyslexic - her grandma even called her "retard" Rolling Eyes). Needless to say her marks were not very good...but she was a metalhead. And guess what? it helped a LOT. When we reviewed irregular verbs, I helped her set up a list of songs she knew and which titles included one of these verbs. And when she recited her verbs but had a doubt, I was like "come on, remember the SOAD song that goes like that?" "oh OK, it is so [enter verb]" "there you go, girl ^^!"

Well, I enjoyed a lot this video, it sure reminds lots of things to all of us! Very Happy
Contenu sponsorisé

MessageSujet: Re: A jolly good idea...the english topic is back! Yay!   A jolly good idea...the english topic is back! Yay! - Page 11 Icon_minitime

A jolly good idea...the english topic is back! Yay!
Page 11 sur 12Aller à la page : Précédent  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Suivant